When we talk about visible veins that have become a cosmetic embarrassment, we are usually referring to spider veins that appear on the legs. However, these veins are not restricted to the lower limbs. In fact, visible lines can also appear on the face, creating an even bigger cosmetic nuisance. The good news is there are minimally-invasive ways to treat facial veins today to create a clearer complexion. At Windward Vein, we have the facts you need to know about facial veins, as well as the treatment options available.
The Lowdown on Spider Veins
Spider veins are usually the type of veins you might see on the face. As their name suggests, spider veins often appear in a network that resembles a spider’s web. They are typically very close to the skin’s surface and can appear as red, blue or purple lines. Spider veins can signify a medical condition but in most cases, they are not a major health concern. Treatment is usually performed for cosmetic reasons, particularly when the spider veins appear on the face.
Causes of Facial Veins
There are a number of reasons why spider veins might appear on the face:
- Heredity – if one of your parents had spider veins, you are more likely to have them as well
- Hormones – hormonal fluctuations, particularly during pregnancy can lead to visible veins
- Damage – unprotected sun exposure and even overzealous scrubbing of the skin can cause facial veins to form
- High Blood Pressure – increased pressure inside the veins can lead to swelling and visibility
- Alcohol – heavy alcohol consumption can have a similar effect to high blood pressure over time
- Skin Conditions – people with acne or rosacea are more likely to see facial veins as well
- Age – as the skin ages, it becomes more prone to damage and the appearance of spider veins
Preventing Facial Veins
There are a few steps you can take to reduce your risk for developing facial veins. First, use sun protection religiously every time you go outside. For long periods outdoors, add a broad- brimmed hat to protect your face.
Also, limit your alcohol intake – it will be good for your appearance as well as your body. If you have a skin condition like rosacea, seek treatment to avoid further damage to the skin. Finally, take gentle care of your skin and avoid excessive exfoliation or scrubbing.
Best Treatment Options
If you do develop facial veins for whatever reason, there are effective treatment options available today. At Windward Vein, we use state-of- the-art lasers to zap superficial veins without invasive surgery. Procedures may take just a few minutes to complete, depending on the number of vessels to be treated. Topical anesthetic can be used prior to treatment to ensure patient comfort throughout the procedure.
After your vein treatment, you are able to return to regular activities right away. Skin may be slightly red and tender in the treatment area, but these side effects tend to subside fairly quickly. Results may be apparent right away and continue to improve in the days following treatment.
Don’t let facial veins get in the way of your appearance or your self-confidence. Contact Windward Vein today at 808-797- 2687 to find out which vein treatment is the right one for you.